DIRECTOR OF APPRAISAL
Scot A. Torkelson CBA, CVA, has been providing business valuation, real estate appraisal and litigation support services on a full-time basis since 1987. In that time Scot has completed more than 2,000 business valuation projects and more than 1,500 real estate appraisal projects. Scot has been a multi-discipline valuation professional for 30 years with a focus on complex assignments.
At Value Consulting Group, Scot is Director of Appraisal and the lead for all real estate appraisal services. Scot has obtained the senior designation in business valuation (CBA) from the Institute of Business Appraisers as a lifetime member; an entity which is part of NACVA, one of the largest appraisal organizations in the United States. He also has a CVA designation with NACVA, and is a licensed Certified General Real Property Appraiser with the State of Minnesota. He is a frequent speaker on valuation topics in the areas of business valuation and real estate appraisal, and has written several articles as well. Scot’s focus in real estate is complex special use properties such as hotels, auto dealerships, landfills, conservation easements, oil wells and coal mines. The combination of real estate and business valuation expertise provides a unique position for determining value for real estate holding companies.
Scot has significant experience with high profile cases including the Estate of Berg, which was a holding company discount case with the IRS where one of the first dual discount (lack of control and lack of marketability) methods was utilized and argued. The court sustained the methodology in this landmark case. Scot also drafted a conservation easement real estate report that resulted in the largest conservation easement value settled by the IRS in the programs history, at $40 million.
Scot assists clients in business valuation, real estate and litigation support issues, including for condemnation, conservation easement creation, mergers and acquisitions, marital dissolution, estate planning, damage and lost profit calculations, intangible asset valuation and management planning.
- Performed over 2,000 business valuations and 1,500 real estate valuations for a variety of purposes
- Provided expert witness testimony, and support for other experts in over 50 cases, including condemnation matters, IRS disputes, marital dissolution, bankruptcy, shareholder disputes, and commercial litigation
- Consulted with clients related to value creation, estate planning, management succession, and mergers and acquisitions
- Certified Business Appraiser (CBA), Institute of Business Appraisers
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts
- University of Minnesota, bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and Communications
- Specialized business valuation, real estate appraisal and litigation support conferences and seminars